Monday, September 1, 2008

Greetings from Russia

This first blog from Russia will be brief. We arrived today in Moscow via Amsterdam. This trip so far has provided a good opportunity to learn the importance of trusting in God's sovereignty. First, I had to wait a long time to de-plane and get through customs. Almost two hours. And when I went to get my baggage, I found out it had not arrived. So then another hour with the baggage claim people--and there I somehow misplaced my departure documents. Not to worry as I only need them to get out of the country. Perhaps God wants me to have a ministry in Russia after all--in prison. It is not a big deal actually except that I will have to spend some extra time reapplying, which means a three hour round trip to the customs area at Sheremetyeva Airport and less time to finish my preparation and get some much needed rest.

Kellie reminded me before I left that God uses tough times to prepare us for what lies ahead. That has proven useful to me to keep my focus on God's faithful working in my (our) lives. So do pray that God will not only help me grow in trusting him more and more, but will also give me the capacity to teach beyond my own strength and energy in a way that gives Him the glory. I find comfort in Paul's words: "...But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God..." (2 Cor. 1:9b).

Good to spend some time today with Wayne Vanderweir (and his wife Sue) with whom I will be teaching this week. I also have appreciated meeting some of the people here at Moscow Theological Seminary where we will begin teaching in a few hours. The facilities here, by the way, are very modern and clean.

Weather today a little chilly at 48 degrees. Since I have no clothes other than the polo shirt and pants I am wearing, I look forward to getting my suitcase!! Thank you for your prayers.

Laboring for Christ, resting in His promises on this Labor Day,

Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment

If not logging in, please be sure to include your name or screen name (i.e. Facebook) so we know who you are. Please be patient, your message may not get posted immediately.